MANY FACTORS AFFECT OUR RESPONSES TO ANY SITUATION. Your responses to this sudden and maybe shocking loss are yours alone. It is best not to compare your responses to those of others as different factors apply to each individual, even when they are grieving the same loss.
Some of the factors that contribute to one’s responses include:
• Age and developmental stage
• Relationship to the person who died
• Cultural, ethnic and religious background
• Support an individual has available
• Attitudes of the community to this type of loss
If you find that you are experiencing any thoughts, feelings or behaviors that you are uncertain about, it is helpful to contact your clergy, a professional grief counselor or other trusted non-judgmental and experienced professional who can help you in your process.